Apply here by 31 January 2022
ROGER LEYLAND MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Applications open: 1 October 2021 – 31 January 2022
Roger Leyland was a partner at Herbert Smith Freehills until his death in October 1996 at the young age of 43. He was the first black partner at a leading City firm and chaired The College of Law’s ethnic minority subcommittee. Roger was deeply committed to supporting the development of young lawyers, including sitting as a governor on the Council of the College of Law.
The Roger Leyland Memorial Scholarship was developed by Rare Recruitment and Herbert Smith Freehills to provide financial support and work experience to exceptional black and minority ethnic students. Applicants should be in their first year of a three-year course or second year of a four-year course and must be a Rare candidate in order to apply. Benefits of being a Roger Leyland Memorial Scholar include:
- £9,000 awarded over three years of study
- A mentor at the firm
- A guaranteed interview for the summer vacation scheme (conditional on achieving a 2:1 in your first-year exams)
- Personal study sessions with Rare’s Melissa Andrewes, a former Head of Students at the University of Law
- Invitations to exclusive firm events
- Runners up may be considered for a place on the summer vacation scheme.
Elevate your ambition. Find out more and apply here by 31 January 2022